Re: Re: First round initiative order in group extended contests

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:21:04 -0400

bowmanm_at_... wrote:

> True. But in a group extended contest, some people will go early and be able to do
> what they'd like, others will be attacked (or whatever) before they're able to
> execute their plan and thus their AP is determined by the ability they had to use to
> resist the attack. I'm wondering, how do I determine in what order people go to
> start on the 1st round, thus, in effect, who's going to be determining what the
> scope of the contest is.

I think that this is one of those things that is more about game narration than game mechanics. In short, I'd say that you as narrator decide on the basis of what is happening in the story. If your heroes are ambushing the bad guys, they should get to pick what skills they are using to start, and hence balance their best AP options while trying to reduce the opponents'. If the heroes have been ambushed then you should impose the appropriate situation. If this is some sort of meeting engagement (combat oriented or not) you should determine "initiative" by who would seem to have it in the story. In case of doubt, throw the initiative to the player heroes- this is their epic story, after all ; )

Gerald