Re: Community Support funkiness

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:36:19 -0400

Alex Ferguson wrote:

>I should perhaps point out that the "problem"
>I'm trying to fix is the purely technical one
>of different levels of support "adding badly".

I'm with Nick on this one, in that I feel all levels of support should be additive. I think the current system was implemented to prevent "support escalation" to the point where no one could ever fail a heroquest, but that could be fixed just as easily by reducing the modifier received for a particular level of support. Here is the extended support table I made, based on prior discussion.

     Supporters (Modifier)
              1 (1)
              2 (2)
              4 (4)
              8 (6)
             16 (8)
             32 (10)
             64 (12)
            125 (14)
            250 (17)
            500 (20)
             1K (25)
             2K (30)
             4K (35)
             8K (40)
            16K (50)
            32K (60)
            64K (75)
           125K (90)
           250K (105)
           500K (120)
             1M (135)
             2M (150)
             4M (175)
             8M (200)
            16M (225)
            32M (250)
            64M (300)
           125M (350)
           250M (400)
           500M (500)

Support receives a positive modifier, Resistance receives a negative modifier. Extraordinary uses the listed modifier for the number of supporters (1000 ES = +25), Total gets bumped two tiers (1000 TS = 250 ES = +17), Ordinary gets bumped four tiers (1000 OS = 64 ES = +12). The values were based on those from the HERO WARS table, and could easily be changed to keep the support numbers from becoming unreasonable. The heroes should be the ones mainly responsible for their own success, not their supporters. One can always increase the level of resistance to balance things out, but the players might not consider that fair.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and