Re: Broad abilities

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:58:01 -0000

Sounds like a good thing to me! The more "realism" you try to introduce the more you will be at odds with the "dramatic" core of the system

>> 3. From a minimaxing standpoint, getting more than two subskills is
>> pointless - it's more economical to just buy up the basic skill.

> Sound like a *good* thing to me ... Who wants character sheets
> with, say, Close Combat 12w (Axe & Shield +7^3, Iron Greatsword
> +6^6, Sharp Dagger +2^2, Barehand +3^0, Enchanted Spear +5^5,
> etc... etc... ad nauseam...)

You missed out Bite! ;)

But you can't have it both ways - either you have an unrealistic "generic close combat" skill or you list every weapon/style known at it's own modifier

> if HW2 made that Chart less clunky than it is, it would be a
> *good* thing IMO.

Less Clunky is definitely good - To my mind that means not introducing new categories of skills and then triggering off arguments as to what is a broad skill and what narrow skills it encompasses - You can play that game forever - Does "Hunting" include "Move Silently"? - Does "Move Silently" include "Sneak through Woods" and "Creep up squeaky stairs"? - So does "Hunting" include sneaking up stairs (I suppose it might for a Yinkini...)? If each skill that can be included in "Hunting" can, itself be broken down further, how many skills does Hunting replace...