Re: Re: Broad abilities

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 18:48:08 +0100

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:33:35 -0400, Michael wrote;

>Tim Ellis wrote:
>
>>Either you have an unrealistic "generic close combat"
>>skill or you list every weapon/style known at it's own
>>modifier
>
>Or you could do what fourth edition ARS MAGICA did and make broader
>fighting techniques like "Weapon with Shield", "Single Weapon" or
>"Longshaft Weapon" the norm, or even use something like "Blunt Weapons",
>"Cutting Weapons" and "Thrusting Weapons". There are *many* possible
>solutions to the Close Combat problem.

Remind me what that problem is?

I can see a 'kinda' problem with taking Strong 5W and then claiming that every physical ability should be augmented by it, and having a stab at things involving willpower.

I don't see what the problem of having characters who behave like characters in heroic fiction is.

Is Carl Hiaassen shaking his head and saying "If I'd have written this, no-one would have beleived it?"