Re: Digest Number 583

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:48:52 +0800

>  >individual sub-members I worry we will end up not with combat 17

>>(swordhelp + 4, overbear foe + 3, lightning sword + 2, salmon leap
>>+3, thunderous blow +3, shield jump +4) but with combat 17( swordhelp > >+13). The mechanics would stop encouraging players to be inventive,

        This actually isn't any problem from the point of view of game balance, though.

        The purported reason for Affinities being more expensive is they do a wide variety of quite different things (not always true in practice, but thats the plan). If you want an ability that does a single narrow thing, that should be cheaper.

        As long as Combat 17(swordhelp +13) costs more than Kick Guys Ass with Sword 30 (sorry, 10w1), its no problem from game balance. Because they can always just go out and buy Kick Guys Ass With Sword, which is just about as efficient.

        In fact, thats pretty much what your spirit integrating animist does, really.

        Sure, its not as interesting - but thats why we try to convince them to buy Affinities, which allow you to add cool new uses as Feats in game fairly easily.

	Cheers
		David