Re: broad abilities

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:13:53 -0700

Alex

>I'd like to see
>the broad abilities rules change _even if_ for some mysterious reason
>we have to keep Close Combat (including karate, fyrd combat, lance
>use, shinty, and sumo, evidently) as a "narrow" skill.

In fact, Close Combat is a pudgy skill, in that you have to spend 1 HP to make it non-narrow. Which is quite different than calling it a broad ability which costs a lot to raise.

>Given the precedent of Affinities, I don't see that Broad Abilities
>are adding a huge swathe of extra rulesage; to at least a degree,
>they're "regularising" the current position.

Affinities aren't a terribly good precedent, in that there have been two different approaches to their use published, depending on how one feels about initiates and devotees. If there are rules for broad abilities, affinities would have to be at best a special case of them.

David Dunham dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein