Re: Close combat

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:11:12 EDT

In a message dated 19/06/01 10:05:00, you write:

<< Alex uttered:
> the lamentable Generic Close Combat

David replied:
 That's the delightfully generic Close Combat...   >>

My own opinion is that having a single Close Combat ability is a Good Thing. To me is delightful not to have particular weapon skills, particularly a different rating for attacking, parrying, parrying with shield, dodging. Having a Close Combat ability called "Close Combat" is lamentable because it is pretty dull, especially as we can use almost any word or phrase for any ability to do whatever we want to do in a contest. If a player had "stick hard pointy things through soft things that scream and bleed" 5W, I would allow that as an ability, not even Close Combat 5W (hard pointy thing into soft screamy thing). I would give it an improve modifier if using a club (not pointy), into a Gargoyle (not soft), into a gorp (don't scream), or an animated skeleton (don't bleed).

Keith N