On-going blasts from the past...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:16:01 +0100 (BST)

Robin D. Laws:
> For what it's worth, my intention was that adding abilitites to
> get out of difficult spots should be perfectly legal. There's already
> a trade-off involved when you choose an ability for its short term
> gain, rather than something that might be of broader utility (or
> more fun to play) throughout a series.

I vividly recall Robin describing this at Conv'98, doubtless mostly because of the aghast reaction of his audience to the example: Seven of Nine can raise people from the dead one episode, and has "forgotten" the ability by the next, due to her obviously not having had the HPs to cement it.

I might be in a minority of one (wouldn't be the first time), but I like the idea of being to do this *with HPs*, as well as during quick-start char-gen. Can't claim to have "extensively playtested" this mind you -- I introduced this is a variant, and it never actually got used in several months of play -- oh well. Then again, my players _were_ serial HP hoarders...