Davids on mysticism.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:59:04 +0100 (BST)

D. Cake:
> If you want an in depth impassioned critique of what the
> problems with the existing rules are that make them so unplayable
> (and thus unplayed), you have but to ask. No one uses them partly
> because they have very big flaws.

And because even more so, because there's no "context" to put them in, to be fair. The Lunars have a smattering of material, and they dabble in a spot of mysticism (he said said, sniffily), but the hard-core mystit areas (the East Isles and KraLor) have barely been touched, to date.

> Its also important that the mystic mechanics, especially
> Strikes, work better because they are used for so many theistic
> secrets.

They're not _that_ broken, once you reconcile yourself to the fact that the only point to them is the "special effect", and that the actual strike game mechanic is a _drawback_ you put up with in order to get it; and that the drawback gets _worse_, as you get "better" in the secret/strike rating. Odd, but maybe it makes some secret sort of sense...

D. Dunham:
> Off the top of my head I don't remember any feats working like a
> mystic strike (and think it would almost certainly be a mistake if
> they did)

I'd be intruiged to learn why this would be a mistake. Though my recollection is the same. (I'm guessing the answer is either anti-strike, or (gasp) simulationist.)