Re: broad abilities

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:40:08 -0000

> > Not sure if this is what you are saying, but I think having all
those
> > skills under one ability is a Good Thing.
>
> My choice of "styles" was intended to flag that I thought this was
> a Very Silly Thing Indeed to have under one (narrow) ability.

I mean I think it is a feature, not a bug.

> You declare my question nonsensical, and then answer it on its
> nonsensical basis -- I'm somewhat torn as to which to respond to.

touche

> As for the proposed solution: I've pointed out the problem with
this
> elsewhere. A fixed-rated penalty always risks being "overtaken"
> by rapid escalation of the "over-broad" ability; an ad hoc, or

Hmm. I think we must come down to a difference of perceptionb over the likely range. I think the improv limit is deliberately constrained to give high abilites an appropriately heroic, grandiose, feel. This allows you to elegantly capture the growth from mundane to supernatural without having to add huge shopping lists of Special Powers and the like. You just hike the ability in question, and its "broadness" allows extemporising to context.

Even the alien worlds modifier is only -20, and thats one bump. If the frame of your contests are routinely decided by comparing mastery levels, then a 10-point penalty will have little effect, but also probably shouldn't. If they are below that level, -10 is fully fifty percent of the possible range.