Re: broad abilities

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:23:18 +0800

> > Evidently the Five Dragon Warriors need a whole 4HP to complete
>> their training, after having done the hard bit of learning just
>> one martial style.
>
>Again, I'm *sure* there is more to Eastern martial arts styles than
>Close Combat skill. C'mon, Robin wrote Feng Shui, didn't he? The man
>knows what he's doing... it's just there was no need to explore the
>Exotic East in the basic rules, surely?

        A martial arts style in HW should be thought of as more like a Combat Affinity (with accompanying feat like bits and pieces) than just a 1HP combat style.

        I think a 1HP combat style is training with a new weapon style or set of techniques long enough to get used to them. Not trivial (but nor is gaining a whole new ability, which you can do for the same investment), but not the same as starting from the beginning again.

        Its very common for martial artists to add a new weapon technique in a few weeks of practice. Thats pretty much what I think the new weapon style is modelling. And its good that it can do so. And much better than game systems where your black belt martial artist always starts weapon techniques at base levels (RQ3, for example).

	Cheers
		David
	Cheers
		David