Re: Broad Abilities

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:05:01 +0800

At 7:42 PM +0100 19/6/01, Alex Ferguson wrote:
>Trouble is, what's a "hefty" penalty in the middle of the scale is
>a totally rackmanite one at the bottom ("Oh. So I auto-fail. Bummer.")
>and acceptable losses at the top, if for example if my LM heroquester
>has managed to get by using few abilities other than "smart", and
>hence has pulled out a mastery-plus lead in rating on my less minimaxed
>colleagues.

        Might I suggest a simple fix for this problem - lets declare penalties as narrator set, and encourage narrators to set higher penalties for higher abilities.

        Or, alternatively, allow narrators to declare that you can't do it at all, but you can augment your base skill if you want.

        I see broad abilities as a complex non-solution to a simple non-problem. Its much simpler, rather than change the whole game mechanics around, to simply empower the narrator to jump on the (largely theoretical, IMO) occasional abuse of this very small lookhole.

	Cheers
		David