Overwhelmingly non-complex.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:04:40 +0100 (BST)

David Cake:
> Suddenly, we have
> the issue of defining what should be broad, and what narrow, on
> somewhat arbitrary grounds

No more abitrarily than one has to assess what's "too broad" at present, for purposes of disallowing abilities, or assessing penalties, which is the current "solution".

> changing basic mechanics

What basic game mechanics? We add a category of ability that has a different HP cost. (A HP cost zone that's already "populated", note.) This doesn't even so much as add a whole new line to the development chart.

> introducing a whole slew of game balance questions

Au contraire, a mechanic is being added to deal with "game balance" (or ability balance, if you will) issues. If one feels the need to use them, one presumably does so feeling some sort of need. But if one ignores them entirely, I can see no drastic consequences, since it simply brings us back to the current situation.

> and we also add in the complication of introducing major
> game mechanic changes between editions.

Again, _what_ game mechanic changes?