Re: broad abilities

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:29:00 +0100

> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
>As for the proposed solution: I've pointed out the problem with this
>elsewhere. A fixed-rated penalty always risks being "overtaken"
>by rapid escalation of the "over-broad" ability; an ad hoc, or worse,
>a progressively more severe one carries the danger of appearing "unfair"
>to a player who might feel it wasn't adequately conveyed to him that
>he was choosing an ability that would be "victimised" in this manner.

This is a feature of Hero Wars. At high levels improvization penalties are swamped. So Harrek with 10W4 close combat has at least three masteries with any weapon (-20 being the worst penalty). Broad abilities won't change this. I don't regard it as a problem: you either disallow use of the ability or you impose a high penalty.

The only advantage of broad abilities in this context is to limit the HP you can pump into other broad (or narrow) abilities. (In any case I'd rather lower the cost of affinities and reduce average HP awards than switch to the 3HP to raise a 'broad' ability rule).

Maybe a vote would be in order (a poll)?

What are the options?

i) No change
ii) Better guidelines for handling broad abilities? iii) Small subset of broad abilities with raised cost (e.g., Clever, Strong etc. as Nick B. suggested)?
iv) Large group of broad abilities with raised cost (e.g., Hunting, Strong, Charistmatic)?
v) Large group of broad abilities with raised cost which includes Close Combat? vi) Small subset of broad abilities with raised cost which includes Close Combat?
vii) reduce cost of affinities to 2 per +1? vi) other?

Have I missed any major suggestions? (I've left off the separate issue of being able to raise subskills/feats).

Thom