Re: broad abilities

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:45:51 -0000

Thom misread me:

> iii) Small subset of broad abilities with raised cost (e.g.,
> Clever, Strong etc. as Nick B. suggested)?

I meant to *lampoon* this suggestion, not to attach myself to it as a proponent. I believe it's one of the figleaves used by broad-ability enthusiasts to conceal their plans to retro-RuneQuestify Hero Wars (introducing characteristics, skill categories, skill trees, etc.).

Which plans I am happy to oppose, as being clearly contrary to the game's core design philosophy ("write down any ability and a rating: that's your ability, and how good you are at it, too.").

For utter clarity: I think "Clever", "Strong", etc. are perfectly acceptable abilities *without* any rules changes being necessary to accommodate them. Narrator guidance is *always* a good thing, and a brief paragraph or so showing how to limit potential abuse of these and other "broad" abilities would IMO be a Good Thing. But changing their costs, etc. to re-mechanise the game system? Never.

Cheers, Nick