Re: Logranthic Add Ons Was: Broad Abilities

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 02:20:33 +0800

> I am happy with the logarithmic nature of
>the ability rating paradigm. But this is then jeopardised by having
>multipliers instead of fixed +/- modifiers. Which happens in Lunar
>Magic, not in community support.
>
>(With a logarithimic rating, any addition *is* a multiplier).

	Nicks analysis is absolutely correct. Abilities are logarithmic.
	So when you multiply an ability, you are actually raising it
exponentially. Which is another way of saying 'at some point, this will destroy all game balance'.

        Replacing Lunar Magic with fixed modifiers rather than multiplication is another thing absolutely high on my wish list for HW 2. But I wish I was more hopeful that it will happen - it was also something I said strongly in playtest.

	Cheers
		David