Re: Martial arts.

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:39:21 -0000

> narratively worthwhile. Just how we do this is still under
> discussion. But giving them a level of game mechanical importance
> approximately the same as Feats or Spells seems roughly right, and
> making them abilities in themselves seems overkill.

Yes, absolutely. I think that the issue here is really about a difference between what a fighter is and what a martial artist is. I think the dedication and concentration of the MA is equivelent to, and many would argue is, a magical act, and hence use magic-type rules quite correctly. This is distinct from the general case of a fighter who adopts a new combat style, which can be modelled by the 1HP cost. These shouls not be confused in the argument over rules; inasmuch as magical abiltiies are broad abilities in HW, it is correct to uise them for martial artists, but not for all fighters.