Re: Overwhelmingly non-complex.

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:16:13 +0800

> > From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
>>
>>No more abitrarily than one has to assess what's "too broad" at
>>present, for purposes of disallowing abilities, or assessing
>>penalties, which is the current "solution".
>
>In my opinion those problems don't disappear by dividing into broad and
>narrow abilities. You still have to decide what penalty to apply to
>"Smart", "Hunted with uncle" and so on.

        But with broad abilities, you need to make that call once at character generation, and don't get to change it. If you just rely on improv penalties, you can change how useful a skill is in play without problems.

        Its at least as easy to go too far in the direction of making too many things broad, and there is not much you can do about it. If some guy decides he wants his character to be 'strong', you decide its a broad ability, and it turns out not be that useful (for reasons already well discussed), his character is ruined and there is not much you do about it within the rules.

	Cheers
		David