Re: sorcery

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:43:57 +0800

>> Remember, you can almost always defend against a magic attack
>> with your primary magic abilities. So a sorcerer with a whole bunch
>> if grimoires can attack you any number of ways - but they will
>always
>> fail, because their abilities will almost always be lower.
>
>No. You defend with the most appropriate ability.

        Yes, *almost* always. If you can't work out a way to defend using your primary magic ability (Given that saying 'I call on the god of <thingy> to resist this attack' is legal), you aren't trying very hard. Still, your primary magic ability is usually not your best, so you have a good incentive to use something else if you can.

        But given your primary magic ability is almost certainly better than the sorcerers, who has to pay nearly double, it should be a safe bet.

> If your best ablity
>is NOT applicable, then you're in trouble. We know this from
>experience and play.
>
>> As for what penalties they should have - oh, stuff like
>> requiring talismans, being difficult to learn in a hurry, being
>> taught by authoritarian orders, needing rigid emotional control -
>> stuff like that.
>
>Odd. I thought that's how the sorcerers operate in Glorantha, isn't
>it?

	Well spotted.
	Range and Duration are also part of how sorcerers operate in
Glorantha. And, as they are not wildly unbalancing parts, they are a very poor justification for ruining all their primary ability scores.

>> Being a wizard is probably not the max-min wet-dream it was in
>RQIII.
        Being a sorcerer is not the max-min wet dream because, essentially, ability scores are ability scores. Duration is no longer a quick and almost unique to sorcery means of mass manufacturing magic items, with only out of game consequences.

        And as it stands now, sorcerers are the sad losers of the magic world, because their abilities are always lower than everyone else. No matter how you cut it, they get lower ability scores for the same investment.

	Well, at least they still get to laugh at the mystics.
	Cheers
		David