Re: Re: Logarithmic Add Ons

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:12:39 +0100 (BST)

First of all, without wishing to belabout the point, I have to say: what everyone else just said, in reply to Greg's message. If it were _really_ so that the Red Emperor varies from 5W to 5W6 in the space of three days, I don't believe a wet behind the ears initiate would _only_ vary between 4 and 18, a tiny variation in comparison.

The only caveat I'd make is we don't have proof-positive this is _not_ how it "really works in Glorantha" (that heresy again...), but if it is, I'd personally like to see some assurance in more detail than just "the mechanics are correct, trust us and our advanced maths skills" from Team Issaries, with no Gloranthan detail to put flesh on the bones.

Mikko Rintasaari, on the non-cycle cycle within the Glowline:
> I for one don't mind. They shouldn't get maximum power from trying to
> cheat on the cyclic principle so important to their religion.

Or at least we should perhaps put them to the trouble of having to re-cheat, in order to do so, which is what the current rules do (in that respect!).

> What's your suggestion Nick?
>
> +/- 1 mastery level?

Without benefit of being Nick, but bearing in mind Greg's comment that the difference _should_ be awesome, I'd say about that. Perhaps:

Dark/Dying: -20
Crescent: -10

Half:         +0
Full:        +20

> The problem is, parhaps, that a fixed penalty/bonus will either be
> rather staggering at the lower levels, or insignificant at the high
> levels. Not a good thing either.

That's not true, though. A basic property, nay, a _design objective_ of the system is that it's scaleable. 1W7 will get the rear-end of 1W6 just as efficiently as 1W2 does 1W. A fixed margin _never_ becomes insignificant. Rather the situation is the reverse: the HW:RiG rule makes the effect escalate drastically.