Re: Martial arts

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 19:23:27 +0100 (BST)

Andrew Barton, on my comment:
> > It is, however, with Close Combat [Funky Monkey Kung Fu, Sartarite
> > Shinty, Equally Silly Other] that the problems of narrative credulity
> > really start.
>
> What's silly about with a character with an ability in Sartarite Shinty?

Nothing! Well, possibly quite a lot, but only in a good way. ;-) (Referring to it as a "combat style" was supposed to be a Small Joke, btw.) I was trying to make a point about a ridiculous _combination_ of "styles", at the bargain-basement "cost" within a single "narrow" ability.

> Playing rough sports seems to have been a strong part of celtic warrior
> culture. Has anyone explored the Orlanthi equivalents?

I wrote an article on this on the GD waaaaaay on back. I called the Sartarite version Iorgh!, popularly assumed to be a spoof on a certain someone's name, als^H^H^Hactually, a rip from Dog Gaelic. Basically it's just ur-camanachd, without benefit of uniforms; rules; a pitch; equal numbers of players; common sense...

Roderick claims the credit for the phrase "full contact golf" in describing the Heortling national sport, but he also swiped _my_ Valind-worshipping goat-eaters, so who would you trust? ;-)