Game balance

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:54:31 -0400

David Cake:

> Feats and all that stuff don't
> really matter - once you have a basic 'Kick Ass' feat of some kind,
> any others don't really help you win contests against others much.

Seems to me it's both a common feature of myth, and a standard type of scenario:

Monster or enemy appears with some power that makes it apparently invincible.
Good guys find some way to avoid or counteract the power and defeat enemy.

Any character who relies on a single 'Kick Ass' feat is liable to find himself playing the role of the monster in someone else's story.

I remember from RQ3 days playing a Sword Priest with all kinds of sword magics, and coming up against an opponent who was completely magically protected against edged weapons (curse that GM and his Vikings book!). He was very pleased with himself right up to the point where I realised what was happening and switched to parrying with sword and attacking with shield ... which I'd trained in more for role-playing reasons (and for fighting scorpion-men) than expecting it to be particularly useful.

Andrew