Re: Re: sorcery

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:09:37 +1200

At 05:10 22/06/01 +0800, you wrote:

> >Theists usually have an additional job (soldier, sailor etc) whereas
> >sorcerers don't.

> They don't pay you in HPs.

So a theistic warrior just lets his close combat go to rot while he improves his affinities?

> >So your sorcerers did not plan for encounters beforehand
> >instead of being forced to cast most of their spells in the
> >heat of the moment?

> Which actually means your augments are at an even lower value
>than anyone else? Thus being an even more inefficient tactic?

Why?

>And remember, everyone else can cast their magics in the
>preceding half an hour for a mighty +1 penalty, a penalty nicely
>counteracted by the 1 point higher their ability will be after a
>single session of play.

So every ability a hero has increases in 1 point per session?

> >And what about magic _range_ which I also pointed out? Did
> >your sorcerers not bother about taken advantage of distance
> >and prefer to cast their magic standing a few feet from their
> >foe?

> So, how well exactly does attacking people at range work when
>their ability level is higher than yours? Poorly.

Who said their ability level was higher than yours? What makes you think the sorcerer is going to be casting his poorest spell against a target with a fantastic defense against that spell?

> And just how exciting is a game of middle distance pot shots,
>and how likely is it that any narrator will let this happen again and
>again? If you don't get to do it much, its no advantage.

So how do you play archers then?

> We aren't playing skirmish warfare here, its a narrative
>based game. 'And then, luckily, we saw the enemy at a reasonable
>distance with a clear line of site, and where able to attack them
>with spells while they were out of range'.

And since it is possible to use Archers in a narrative based game (hw-rules debates passim), one should use wizards at a distance likewise, no?

> (and, of course, as its only a +5 advantage in most cases, it
>becomes completely pointless by the time you get to the w2 level, and
>you lag at least 5 points behind the theists)

You do?

--Peter Metcalfe