Re: Re: Broad abilities (combat)

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:39:13 +0100

> From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
>The earlier fighting eperience helped, but it certainly doesn't feel
>like a relatively minor (1 HP) knack to pick up.
>
>Then CC works for you. I find learning new weapons rather hard, and to
>me the "1 HP to learn a new style" really doesn't feel right.

To be fair this is an explicitly simulationist argument. I don't think it is a Hero Wars problem, but (if it were) a better solution is to increase the cost of the sub-skill. Such a rule doesn't need a rules re-write.

>I rather liked the comments about running a game with just spesific
>weaponskills, and improvicing from them when it's sensible (and not at a
>flat -3 either). Parhaps that would work better than a 3 HP/lvl CC
>skill afterall.

Most narrators, AFAIK, don't use flat improvisation penalties. There was some discussion on this 12-18 months ago. The consensus was improvisation penalty based on weapon similarity. I use -3 for culturally familar weapons and bigger penalties for unfamilar weapons (should any of my Heortlings ever pick one up).

Thom