Re: Re: Re: Broad abilities (combat)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:27:41 +0100 (BST)

> From abf_at_... Fri Jun 22 15:39:55 2001

Thom Baguley:
> Most narrators, AFAIK, don't use flat improvisation penalties. There was
> some discussion on this 12-18 months ago. The consensus was improvisation
> penalty based on weapon similarity. I use -3 for culturally familar weapons
> and bigger penalties for unfamilar weapons (should any of my Heortlings
> ever pick one up).

The issue isn't whether they should be "flat" per style-switch (naturally not, as you say), but whether they should be flat with respect to ability level. e.g., if I only know the great maul (whether as a style or a narrow ability, that matters not here), and I pick up a naginata, do I get the same penalty at skill 17 as I would at skill 12W4? I'd imagine not. Thus there's a distinctly ad hoc feel to any "fix" to this with imp-mods.