Re: Re: Re: Broad abilities (combat)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:58:30 +0100 (BST)

Thom Baguley:
> To be fair this is an explicitly simulationist argument. I don't think it
> is a Hero Wars problem, but (if it were) a better solution is to increase
> the cost of the sub-skill. Such a rule doesn't need a rules re-write.

If that's not a rules rewrite, I don't know what is! And it's certainly not clear to me it's in any way a "simpler" rules change to manage than is Issaries's suggested ploy. To make a "style" cost more than an outright new ability would doubtless cause yelps of protest; and it's not clear that doing so would even adequately distinguish, in our hypothetical case, such utterly different "styles" as have been suggested, since in the long run the cost of increasing just one ability is so much less than that of increasing two (much less one "broad" ability).