Re: Re: crystals

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:50:46 +1200

At 16:31 22/06/01 +0000, you wrote:

>I'd suggest getting a copy of RQII or III and reading it -- it may
>provide you with useful background information as well.

Elder Secrets would be the best source of information.

>But, RQ questions are not really the purview of this list.

Swiping from Elder Secrets:

In RQ, one had to attune a powered crystal to be able to use it. In HW, I would just require the crystal to be cemented as a benefit instead. Only one crystal may be cemented at any one time.

The power of the crystal I would just rate in terms of the benefit it provides, i.e. a ^2 healing focusing crystal provides an augment while a +2 healing focusing crystal provides an edge.

Since they are crystallized god's blood, I feel crystals should be attuned to one of the three magic otherworlds (sorcery crystals are mentioned in Elder Secrets).

CHAOTIC
Commonly known as: Slime Stones, Evil Rocks, Thed Stones Possible powers: as per other crystals but the user is tainted

         with chaos. Might cause some bad juju.

COMBINATION:
Commonly known as: a mixture of other crystal names. Possible powers: any other two crystals.

HEALING FOCUSING
Commonly known as: Arroin's Tears, Chalana's Blessing. Possible powers: either augments or adds an edge to healing magics.

SENSITIVITY
Commonly known as: My Magic Is, Akim's Stone. Possible powers: either augments or adds an edge to detection magics.

POWER ENHANCING
Commonly known as: Nipple Stone, Selfdrill, Uncut Esrolian Ruby. Possible power: provides an extra augment or edge to any enhancement

         magics.
Example: If I seek a +2 augment and have a +1 power enhancing crystal,

         then if successful, the total augment will be +3.

SPELL REINFORCING
Commonly known as: Smoke Stones, Snake Crystals, Pakbaks. Possible power: Adds an edge to offensive magics.

SPELL RESISTING
Commonly known as: Gatasave, Ernalda's Tears. Possible power: Augments any resistance versus incoming offensive

         magics, or adds a handicap to any offensive spell that succeeds.

SPELL STRENGTHENING
Commonly known as: Arrow Points, Barnab Blood, Darnagshoot. Possible power: Augments offensive magics.

SPELL STORING
Commonly known as: Falagian Diamonds
Possible power: None remembered.

SPIRIT SUPPORTING
Commonly known as: Ghost Shields, Grandpa's Aid. Power: Augments or adds an edge to spirit combat.

FLAWED
Commonly known as: Joke Stones, Choke Stones, Smoke Stones. Power: Might be impossible to attune (wasting 1HP), curse or

         handicap any other type of magics etc.

UNPOWERED Commonly known as: Second Wind, Splinter Rock, Limbium, Gar Crystal,

         Orzy's Rock, Energy Canteen, Maldanian Quartz Crystal, Star Tip. Power: can be used to lend AP in a magical contest.

--Peter Metcalfe