sorcery

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 23:18:58 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, David Cake wrote:

> group. Say both start at 5w in their best ability. The theist has
> spent 45 HPs to get to the w2 level. The sorcerer has spent the same
> 45 HPs, and has increased only 9 points, so is only 14w.

Remember that sorcerers get to use a mundane ability like logical or conventrate to augment all of his spells. That mundane ability can be easily bought up at the same speed as his grimoire. Indeed, sorcerers should always buy this skill up, even if they also train in different grimoires. One additional HP per session isn't that much.

5W +1W skill to augment it at the beginning. They are actually ahead first.

14W +10W augment... it balances things somewhat. When hard pressed, the sorcerer could use 2HPs just on one magic effect, first on the augment and then on the spellcasting. On lifethrethening situations that really could help, but then again it will impair progress. That's why sorcerers don't "go adventuring".

BUT, the sorcerer doesn't advance much in other departments of his life. The devotee on the other hand propably has other useful abilities and he can use his affinities to augment his mundane skills, which btw works better than doing it the other way around. Mundane abilities are easier to improve.

I don't know if this is intentional, but the system itself doesn't encourage sorcerers to do exciting things. They could have wider range of magic, but it doesn't do anyone much good to have a sorcerer who isn't good at anything.

Maybe the system isn't meant to be balanced. From what I have understood, shamans simply rule, but then again we have heroquesting to the God World to offset that. Maybe there is something like this for sorcerers too?

Olli Kantola