Re: _Narrow_ abilities, for a change...

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:51:30 -0000

<snip similarity to an Alex suggestion>

> I like the idea of taking into account broadness/narrowness
> in some way, but not in a rigid way, that has to be decided for a
> particular ability at campaign start and pretty much stuck with
> from then on. It can always change. It would be nice to give at
> least some reward for choosing a narrow ability.

Sounds good to me. To provide an example

Aeort, Borthold and Corlin are out in the woods, and want to sneak up on something they have spotted through the trees...

Aeort has the "broad" skill "Hunting:17" Borthold has the "normal" skill "Stalk Prey:17" Corlin has the "narrow" skill "Move silently in Woods:17"

You could rule "C has the most applicable skill - straight roll, B is not quite as applicable, roll at -1, A is the least applicable, roll at -2" - but to an extent this is what I call the "D&D Thief" problem (*) - If C wasn't present then B's Stalk Prey would probably not attract a minus, so instead

"B has the appropriate skill, roll as normal, A is using a broad skill so improvise at -3, C is using an appropriate narrow skill roll at +3".

In an extended contest (Can the characters sneak up on the bad gurys before they are heard?) it may make more sense to assign a bonus edge for "narrow" abilities

(*) Because if a bunch of fighters walk down a corridor then no one hears them , but if the thief tries to "move sliently" and fail then everyone hears him... (mind you, it was a long time ago that I played D&D...)