Re: Re: Cementing vs. learning.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:01:21 +0100 (BST)

This is getting a little wearing, as Mr. Martin isn't responding materially to what I'm saying, so I'll try and keep this brief (in both length, and depth (of thread)).

> > > But all you arer descrtibing is limits to culturally
> > > available skills.
> >
> > I don't understand this comment. My point is, mythic precedent
> would
> > seem to make the distinction between a person "skilled in all
> weapons"
> > and "master of just one" "narratively significant". The HW game
> system
> > makes this distinction trivially small, at best.
>
> Yes. Why do you expect the WORLD to be echoed in the MECHANICS?

*bangs head repeatedly on keyboard* I explicitly (and by now, repeatedly) said I was talking about "modelling" narrative, and hence specifically, cited a game-world difference that would feature in a _story_ one might wish to tell. I don't see what's so hard to grasp about this point.

> Whetehr or not something is mythically significant in a world has
> nbothing to do with the narrative impact of that fact in any given
> story,

If one wants to make a "feature" of a mythic distinction in one's narrative, then I have to suggest this is clearly false.