Re: _Narrow_ abilities, for a change...

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:35:12 -0000

Thom Baguley wrote:
> I like this a lot. HW 1st ed does have allowance for situation
modifiers,but I'd like to see slightly clearer guidelines. It makes sense to me thatappropriate narrow skill use should get a bonus.<

I tend to note the contests when writing episodes using the standard contest notation e.g.:

Escape Chains(19): Foil Restraints, Strong(-5)

which already implies that matching skills get no modifier and improvising skills get a negative modifier.

Why write:

Escape Chains(24): Foil Restraints(+5), Strong

its no clearer and the numbers are the same.

I don't see that anything needs to be added to the rules for this. Provision already exists for penalising 'non-mathcing' abilites. Maybe I am missing something ...

Ian Cooper