Re: _Narrow_ abilities, for a change...

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:30:53 -0000

Tim Ellis wrote:

>treating it as a simile - so your Standard Contest Notation would
read

Esacape Chains (24): Escape Chains (+2), Foil restraints , Strong (-5)

for example, whereas the alternative is

Escape Ropes (24): Foil Restraints, Escape Chains (-3), Strong (-5)

The idea being to reward people for taking a narrow skill<

OK I followed this, but surely

Escape Chains (1W4): Escape Chains (+2), Foil restraints , Strong (-5)

is the same as

Escape Chains (1W2): Escape Chains, Foil restraints(-2) , Strong (-7)

i.e. the narrowest skill is the resistance, increasingly broader skills are at a minus, so here we reduce the resistance to 1W2 - Escape Chains level and reuce everything else by 2.

In other words in episode development you can always rewrite to give negative TN modifiers for broader skills and no modifer to the narrowest skill.

That said I can now see that the narrator should be allowed the ability to give an on the spot positive modifier to TN if they feel that a character in their game has a more appropriate skill than in the published episode and that as a result the resistance there is too high.

Ian Cooper