Re: Re: Broad abilities (combat)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 19:01:17 +0100 (BST)

> From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...

> Alynra Speardottir
> Close Combat(Bare Fist Fighting) 10W2
> Tactics: Has an improvisational modifier of -10 using weapons (i.e.
> 20W).

[...]

> The fact that using unlisted weapons is at an improvisational
> modifer, which tends to be -1 to -10, but could be even higher
> ("sorry Jo but your Axe & Shield is nothing like Sumo that's a -
> 10W" ) seems to have been overlooked in arguments over Close Combat.

The fact (mentioned in my example) that this person is a _weaponthane_, and thus "not unfamiliar" with weaponed fighting styles seems to have been overlooked, on the contrary. This isn't a person who's unusually bad at her "job", it's someone unusually _good_ at one aspect of it, in a way the current rules make very difficult to "split off". (There was something that would have helped somewhat in one of the drafts, as has been mentioned.)

I do not consider a 1HP (or 2HP at worst, to placate Gareth Martin) style to adequately represent the sort of distinction being discussed.

This wasn't exactly a killer difficulty, I freely admit, since a) the character was an NPC, and b) I wouldn't have let the rules be a conceptbreaker  in any case...