Re: Re: Prax

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:04:28 +1200

At 08:08 24/05/00 +0000, you wrote:

> > No. Animist magic is not the shaman's sole domain and the
> > Praxians still do most magic through the Khan and the Eiritha
> > Priestess.

>But are these 'Priestesses' just names attached to an Animist working
>LIKE a Shaman (as with the Family Head or whatever the phrasiology
>was in the Animist section) or are they using Theistic-style rules &
>gaining Affinities & Feats?

The "Holy Person, Sacred Chief, Family Head" are the way to do it IMO. The Khan of the entire tribe has the ability to summon the tribal founder yet he is not a shaman.

>In other words, are Praxian Animists 'pure', or are they one of the
>cultures mentioned who work by widespread Misapplied Worship?

As far as I know, they are pure animists. According to Greg's notes when he was developing this terminology (or what I understand about them), there is no problem with animistic cultures worshipping gods (and this is what the Orlanthi do).

AFAIK the only major Genertelan culture involved in misapplied worship are the Safelstrans although the Arrolians might also be an example of such (but then again they might not).

--Peter Metcalfe