Re: PraxPak Practical Proposal

From: James Holden <jaholden_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:49:55 -0000

Philippe offers some excellent suggestions about assembling a PraxPak.

A few suggestions to supplement Philippe's ideas:

  1. Work for a PraxPak could be divided into two phases.

First, there are elements of the Prax background that need to be rewritten in HW terms (e.g. occupation and magic keywords). With Praxian character keywords and creature statistics (either fancreated  or those from the HW creatures book), anyone with the existing background material would be all set to play HW in Prax.

Second, the background information could be gathered, summarized, perhaps added to, and then posted on the web for new HW players. (This assumes that there aren't intellectual property stumbling blocks.) The Tales articles and Drastic: Prax have given us lots of cult and location info, but I wouldn't mind seeing more information on clan and tribe structures, kinship arrangements, sample characters, some form of Praxian clan questionnaire, and other "community" details. This material could be organized in a way more friendly to newcomers (rather than the existing distribution across multiple publications). Would it be possible/appropriate to offer it as a "Praxian Tribe" section of the HW web site?

The first phase would obviously take less time, and perhaps benefit existing RQ players the most. The second phase would involve lengthier research and writing, but the end result would benefit both seasoned Prax explorers and HW newcomers.

This suggests...

2) It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a list of character keywords and creature descriptions needed for the first phase above. Armed with an outline, we could tackle one topic at a time (e.g. a Praxian herder keyword) with everyone listing relevant references and making suggestions. We could then pool the suggestions, edit, post, and move on to the next topic in the list. For difficult topics that defy simple resolution (e.g. Storm Bull the God vs. Storm Bull the Great Spirit), maybe we could arrive at one polished version of each approach, with notes on the official Issaries position, where one exists.

This approach keeps us from having to locate every Praxian detail ever written at the outset of the project. If the topic is converting the cult of Waha into the HW short cult format, I don't immediately need to know about minute Praxian historical references in the Dorastor book.

I would suggest that we initially assemble a first-phase outline of conversion topics (and my list above isn't exhaustive by any means). Those topics will provide a basis for the second phase topics, which might include longer cult write-ups, myths, tribal descriptions, settings, scenarios, and so on.

3) I think it would be a great idea to set up a PraxPak discussion list here on eGroups. It would make it much easier to keep the bulk of the discussion archived in one place.

4) Could we formally enlist the support of a few experts? It might be easier for those closely involved with Issaries if we periodically submitted a list of questions and got answers back, rather than forcing the experts to constantly monitor the Digest, hw-rules, the HeroWars list, our PraxPak list, etc. I appreciate the expert input, and would like to make it as easy and quick as possible for that input to continue.

5) I currently have lots of web space to spare, and would be glad to dedicate some space to the task.

Comments?

James