Re: shamans; Urox/Storm Bull; Uralda

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 22:23:14 -0700

Jeff wrote:

> But then, there's not a perfectly good feminine word for shaman that
> isn't othewise loaded with meaning.

"Shaman" doesn't work? (I think I've seen "shamaness" used, though I find it klunky.) Don't forget, the <man> has nothing to do with being male -- it's not an Indo-European word, which is why the plural is "shamans."

Douglas asked about Urox/Storm Bull:

> One thing about them being two different entities that bothers me is the
> bit in KoS(?) where a Praxian SB shows up in Boldhome for the annual
> Urox HHD thingy. If Urox and SB weren't the same thing, why did he
> travel to Boldhome? And why did the Sartarites let it happen?

Why did Herodotus say that the Scythians worshipped Mars? Undoubtedly they worshipped a different war god, but a Scythian in Athens might easily have been welcomed at the Mars shrine.

Even if Urox and Storm Bull are different entities (and I'm not convinced they are), they are similar enough that a casual observer would think otherwise, and even a worshipper might think they're the same, and only the different practice of worship is why he's not getting the normal magic.

Peter wrote

> Me> >The Pol Joni (and related bastards) are theistic.
>
> >Who do THEY worship?
>
> Orlanth. The name of their women's goddess is a matter
> of some debate (the source says Eiritha, but I think it
> should be Uralda).

If they raise cows (which so far as I know they do), then they'd worship Uralda. At the time the source was written, "Eiritha" was the general purpose name for the herd mother goddess. In writing King of Dragon Pass, we came up with a distinct name for the Orlanthi version.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein