Barntar & The Other Guy

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 22:04:20 +1000

>Guy:

>a) Don't know if it's already been asked, or is painfully obvious, but
> are
> Barantaros the Hidden Gale and Barntar the Plowman the same deity? Or
> different aspects of the same deity?

No. (IMO, No). Barntar is a minor god, usually approached through Orlanth or Ernalda, and is effectively a mediator of the tribes of Earth and Air. Though often treated as an aspect of Orlanth, Barntar is to all intents and purposes an earth god: his magic is plough magic.

Though I'm away from notes and references, Barantaros to me evokes Hagodereth/Bearded Wind, the enemy god worshipped and incarnated by Lokamayadon, the ancient enemy. (Harmast Saga). If this is so, mentioning any purported connection between the two deities would get you strung up on just about any tula in Heortland.

Cheers

John