Re: Barntar & The Other Guy

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 10:23:57 -0400

> No. (IMO, No). Barntar is a minor god, usually approached through Orlanth or
> Ernalda, and is effectively a mediator of the tribes of Earth and Air.
> Though often treated as an aspect of Orlanth, Barntar is to all intents and
> purposes an earth god: his magic is plough magic.

That is true. In many way's he's the Carl's God. I would not say if he's an Earth god but he certainly is a man's god. He's very much a culture hero, providing an example for living a good life of an Orlanthi farmer. Very much the 'Orlanth The Farmer' aspect, as it were.

> Though I'm away from notes and references, Barantaros to me evokes
> Hagodereth/Bearded Wind, the enemy god worshipped and incarnated by
> Lokamayadon, the ancient enemy. (Harmast Saga). If this is so, mentioning
> any purported connection between the two deities would get you strung up on
> just about any tula in Heortland.

I would probably not link Barantaros to the Bearded Wind as Barantaros seems to be more of a loyal follower who helps his chieftan through inspired, *independant* bravery. I think he's not much more than what he is on the writeup and is one of the many, many Thunderbrothers who are out, waiting there to be defined.

Jeff