Re: Barantaros Variations

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 13:45:51 -0400

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> On 5/29/00 at 12:05 PM KYER, JEFFREY wrote:
> >I think that the similarity of names is, in this case, merely
> >conincidence.
>
> I've read the myth, and there are few points of similarity, other than the
> name. It's really a very sketchy writeup, though; plenty of room to
> conflate the two if one is so inclined (I'm not, at this point). It's very
> odd, though, that the writer of the cult description chose a name that was
> so close to that of Barntar. In a game situation, I wouldn't be surprised
> if that similarity of names might not create problems for Barntar cultists,
> or if Barantaros cultists might not pass themselves off as Barntar cultists
> under certain circumstances.
>
> At any rate, I don't have anything more to add to the issue at the moment,
> so I'll let it be for the time being. Thanks for indulging me; hope I
> haven't irritated anyone with my half-baked theory.
>
> Guy

Nah, it was kinda neat. If anything, it got me to think about counte arguements, which is a good way to get one's thoughts organized.

Now, though, you Do have me thinking about a Vengeful Banatar aspect. That might be an interesting subcult to explore... And of course, one could always consider a sort of 'done with farming, I seek vengance' stransition a-la Dendara/Gorgorma.

Jeff