Re: Bisonrider swords

From: Meirion Hopkins <Meirion_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:26:55 +0100

> Yeah, I think they use swords but I don't know what they'd make them
> from! Bone swords with sharp stones? Sacred Copper? Remember, the
> praxians are notoriously metal poor.

They don't have the sharp stones, but they do use bone! (IIRC)

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of it, but I remeber from a Greg Says Q&A about Praxians and metal that nomads have a spell/ritual that allows them to 'forge' swords and similar items from the bone of herd animals.

Also, Colin Phillips refers to a Praxian armed with a "vicious-looking bone sword" in his story "Rubble Rousing" (published in the C4 Convulsion Anthology)

A possible method for this might be to laminate bone, leather and other subsatances in a manner similar to the swords (and armour) used by the Tsurami (SiC?) Empire from the Raymon Feist/Janny Wutz, Magician/Empire series.

For those who haven't read this series:
Metal was very rare on the planet in question, but people had arrived on the planet with some metal weapons and armour, so they knew about swords. Their swords were made from laminated strips of a particular animal's hide and could be sharpened to hold an edge. In combat with metal weapons they would eventually be cut to shreds, but were good enough against other wepons of their own type.