Re: Fetishes

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 13:31:57 +0200

Tim Ellis :

> Are Fetishes specific to the type of spirit that you are placing in
> them?

Not absolutely : but some types of objects have a lesser/greater natural affinity for certain magics than others.

The main limitation is (obviously) *how* you want to use the magic : making a Fireblade fetish of a stick would not work so well as using a sword (although the stick *does* have a natural affinity for Fire), but you might want to give the fetish to someone else, instead of making a magic sword.

> I'm guessing that the answer ought to be yes - For example a Fly spirit
> fetish might include a feather, while a Combat fetish includes a
> predators tooth.

It's a cultural thing, mainly : whatever *feels* right TO YOUR CHARACTER. But of course, Gloranthan cultures are highly conservative ; so ... ;-)

> Can a fetish be more "general purpose", or are they specific to the
> spirit they hold?

Depends on your shamanic Tradition. Fetishes *can* hold many Spirits, provided that's how you learned your shamanism ...

> Crystals, then could be "blank" fetishes.

No. They are highly magical things, and I don't know how HW will handle them (perhaps in 4 different ways?), except that they will need specific rules.

cheers,

Julian Lord