Re: Elmal Questions

From: Jeff Kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 23:37:49 -0000

I am not sure but it might be connected to the Law Staff that Orlanth got his hands on? I think it might be more symbolic of his nature -- perhaps its is his spear?

> 2) Elmal is known to the Storm Tribe as the Loyal Thane, because he
> stuck by Orlanth, and ruled his stead in his absence, handing it
back
> when he returned from the Underworld. How is he known to the Fire
> Tribe, who he refused to fight for at the start of the Gods War,
then
> refused to defend himself when they attacked him, going to join
their
> brutal foes, the Storm tribe? Presumably this is why the Solar
peoples
> have (tried to) convert Elmal to Yelamalio, a Solar God who better
meets
> their ideals?

That's a pretty good direction of departure. And by reduceing the Elmali in Orlanthi society, they strengthen themselves. And with their very fscinating and interesting Solar culture, this seduction is
sonmething they seem to have gotten very good at.

He's best when Orlanth is weak or otherwise occupied. And if he's gone/reduced when things get bad for the Orlanthi, then it makes the Lunar/Solar's job all that more easy.

That's my take on it, at least.

Jeff