Re: Re: One List too many?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:27:57 -0400

Nick Brooke wrote:

> Rusty wrote:
>
> > Yes, I feel more comfortable posting questions in this group than
> > on the GD!
> > I am subbed to both, but rarely ever post anything to GD.
> > Also, *for me* the signal to noise ratio is a bit low on GD (where
> > noise = Gloranthan esoterica)
>
> Very true. On the other hand, if you can't discuss Gloranthan esoterica on
> the Glorantha Digest, where on earth *can* you discuss it? (The answer is
> *not* going to be this HeroWars list, I devoutly hope!).

Please, no esoterica here. I promise to be good. Honest! That being said, there IS a need for explanations but the hairsplitting debates would be not good. If I see them happening, I will ask folk to take it to the digest or to private mail.

So far we've actually had some pretty productive discussions. And onw that Glorantha is out, I expect a few more.

> > I am ambivalent about the need for a distinct HW-rules list and this one
> > though, either....why is there a split? What is HW-Rules actually for?
>
> Discussing the Hero Wars *rules*, startlingly enough.

Odd that. =)

> If your post mentions "Action Points", or "bids", or "die rolls", it
> probably belongs there. The classic "Oscar and the Troll" / "Indy and the
> Swordsman" threads are perfect examples of what that list is for. Likewise,
> if you want to argue that high success rolls should be treated as better
> than low ones, or show off your new probability-table generating program, or
> sort out how Character Generation works, or propose an alternative
> simple-contest-only resolution system, or bitch on about how you *warned*
> them during playtest (but did they listen?), etc...

We really should get Mike to draw Oscar vs the Troll.

And yes, the kvetching is not welcome here. We're here to see how we can make the game work, not how the game should have been designed. I'm serious on that.

> > I know there is a lot more traffic there, but *practically* I
> > find it hard to discriminate between the lists based on their content.
>
> In practice, posts to HW-Rules_at_egroups.com should be *about* the Hero Wars
> rules, game mechanics, example play situations and how to resolve them, etc.

Steve's going to be pointing topics here and vice versa.

> Posts to HeroWars_at_egroups.com should be about Glorantha as viewed through
> the Hero Wars product line, with a bias in favour of newbies. See my
> adjacent message for much more about this.
>
> And the Glorantha Digest is carrying on as before, esoterica, animosity,
> flamage and all.

Is it? Oh good. Pehaps they will have a flame war about us!

> > I guess this list (HeroWars) is for those new to Glorantha, and for that
> > purpose maybe it is reasonable to have it separate from the hardened rules
> > dissection at HW-Rules.
>
> Specifically, it is a non-rules-based list (i.e. discussion of HW game
> mechanics is off-topic -- if you need to do this, take it to HW-Rules), and
> it's for people whose only knowledge of Glorantha comes from the Hero Wars
> books.

Yep. And we're supposed to *help* newcommers to the genre and world. Help, not confuse.

> > I suppose I am more eager to read HeroWars mail than HW-Rules mail.
> > It tends to be a little more accessible in some way, and more
> > pragmatically useful.
>
> Excellent news. OTOH, the HW-Rules discussions are helping shape the FAQ and
> Errata nicely. Once they have done this to general acclaim (and when there's
> a page-numbered index and a useful example of play on the Issaries website),
> the volume may well die down. (I hope!)

The Erratta and Faq are rules-speek and should be done on HWrules (and being done well there!)

> Cheers, Nick

Cheers, indeed

Jeff