Re: Vampires and Corpses

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:59:42 -0400

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> Nick Brooke wrote:
>
> >: And, *if* HW ever prints material on Vivamort (or Vampires, etc.)
> >: which contradict or change the nature and powers of vampires from those
> >: expressed in prior publications, the HW version takes precedence (per
> >: suggestion #2).

Yeah. Though I note that there was no Vivamort stuff done in RQIII (other than as a stand alone monster in Sun Dome) due to the difficulty of fitting it to the rules. HW should work more readily.

> >NB: when this was written, I was unaware that the HW Glorantha Book would
> >include bizarre editorial speculations about Vivamort: p.250
>
> > VIVAMORT willfully sacrificed his own soul to gain immortality.
> > Because of this empty and hollow entity, vampiric corpses rise
> > from their graves to feed upon humans. [or any living creature?
> > And I assume it's the worshippers of Vivamort that reanimate.
> > Where do zombies come from?]
>
> Being responsible for this passage, I must say it's a fair cop but
> society is to blame. I was cribbing shamelessly from the Gods of
> Glorantha Prosopaedia which states:

Bad M. Metcalf! Bad! No biscuit! But its good speculation, nonetheless. I seem to recall that the vampires required something that had sentience to really feed off of. But hey,I could just be channeling Vampire: The Angst again. Um, I wish I had a copy of the rules. Sigh.

I'd always allowed vampires to feed their need for blood from anything that would fit -- cattle, sheep, birds, adventurers. But to refill on power required something more... complex like a heroine or hero.

> Vivamort is the god of undeath who willfully sacrificed his own
> soul to gain empty immortality. Because of this dark and hollow
> entity, corpses sometimes rise from the grave at night to suck
> the blood of sleeping people.
> GoG Prosopaedia p18.
>
> As for the differences between Vampires and Zombies, I do feel that
> zombies are not vampires because, although corpses, they do not have
> the hunger for other people's blood.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Zombies don't have free will. Vampires appear to be self-motivated, self-controled, self-ish and self-serving. Zombies just look like extras from Evil Dead.

I suppose Vivamort should have the Selfish rune...? =)

Jeff