RE: Grazers

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:38:35 +0100

Dave writes:

> Thanks for all the pointers on the Grazer stuff

You're welcome.

> I went and re-read the little bit in Hero Wars and I agree that it has to
> be the Pure Horse People by implication, it does actually directly state
> as such, moreover KOS doesn't say anything about them.

KoS's account of Alavan Argary gives us the means, motive and opportunity for the Pure Horse Tribe to get out of Prax; on KoS p114 we learn that there's a "Pure Horse People" faction among the Grazers. It all adds up, if you're looking for it...

> Joe Newbie will buy Hero Wars + KOS ( and now Glorantha) and will ask the
> same question. So I guess it's a candidate for the FAQ.

How about this:

Q: How do the historical accounts about the Grazers starting out as refugees from the Pure Horse Tribe in Prax (in Hero Wars and Glorantha) square with the account (in King of Sartar) which tells how the first Grazers were made by turning centaurs into humans or horses?

  1. Both are true: the history (of the Pure Horse Tribe) is historically true, and the myth (of the centaurs who became humans or horses) is mythically true. A few Pure Horse Tribe survivors of the Battle of Alavan Argary (1250 ST) escaped from beneath the Black Net and travelled by magical means to Dragon Pass. There they were adopted by Ironhoof the Centaur. The story in KoS is the "adoption ritual" which made them his kin, and therefore acceptable to the Beasts of Beast Valley, rulers of Dragon Pass at that time.

Cheers, Nick