Initiation and Spirit Integration

From: Martin Dick <martin.dick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:55:44 +1000

When do people think that characters initiate to a particular god? For example, in the Storm Pantheon, do children have the ability Worship Storm Pantheon from a very early age (5 or so) or maybe are even born with it or get it at the Orlanthi equivalent of a christening? Or do you get it at 14-17 when you go through your initiation as an adult?

In the latter case, when would it be normal to initiate to a a god or aspect of a great god, sometimes soon after that, a few years later, or do you initiate to a god when you become an adult or something completely different?

If I'm not an initiate and only have Worship Storm Pantheon, what magic do I have apart from the DI option, any? If I'm an Orlanthi Farmer, can I call upon Ernalda using Worship Storm Pantheon to bless my crops or rid them of the weevil, obviously at even a greater penalty than an initiate? Have I lost my Kill Rats capability and my PloughSharp unless I'm an initiate of Barntar or Orlanth the Farmer? What do people think?

On integration of spirits, which seems significantly more powerful that using fetishes, what are the drawbacks? The obvious one to me is that you are making this foreign spirit an integral part of your spirit, which to my mind means that it should bring along part of its personality as well. As well, if too many spirits are integrated, especially if they are contradictory e.g integrating a Lion spirit and an Antelope spirit (Predator and Prey) could lead to interesting mental difficulties :-) for the player.

Martin