Re: Great Priest

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:14:02 -0400

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> Nils:
>
> Me>> Storm Bull started off in the Theistic world because he was
> >> one of Genert's friends and Genert is the Great Priest (just
> >> as Pamalt was the Great Shaman, Zzabur the Great Sorcerer).
>
> >Is Genert confirmed as the Great Priest? I ask because in the
> >Vithelan myths, Ombardaru the Priest is vague enough to be
> >Genert or Yelm or yet someone else.
>
> Greg was talking to me about the Four Magicians and that Genert
> was one of them long before I saw the myth of Vith against the
> Three.
>
> >> The Genertan Pantheon was killed during the Gods War and the
> >> surviving Praxians only managed to keep alive by communing
> >> with the shades of those killed. In other words they became
> >> animists.
>
> >So that's true for Eiritha as well?
>
> Probably. She's been buried under the Earth.

Yeah. The problem with the praxians is that they are theists who are forced into being animists by the disasters that have befallen them.

> >We know there is an Eiritha
> >shaman tradition, but is Eiritha's cult at the Paps animist
> >or theist?
>
> I would consider it a relic of the old days and allow Eirithans
> to get theistic magic there if they go in deep enough.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Ah, a heroquest. This is a VERY good way of getting something like this to work. Brings out more adventure and fun. I realize its a facile arguement in favor (to some) but I can't think of a better one.

Jeff