Re: Humakti Regiments

From: Brian Laxson <b1laxson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:58:39 -0400

> From: "Alexandre Lanciani" <alexanl_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Humakti Regiments
>
> Brian Laxson:
>
> [Note: originally posted on the hw-rules list]
>
> > In Runequest the Humakati gathering places were
> > frequently mercenary hiring halls. Hey... if you're
> > religiously bound to deal out death you may as well
> > get paid for it.
>
> Agreed but not all the mercenaries who hire out in Humakt's Temples are
> necessarily Humakti. After all in the Pavis Temple IIRC there is a Wind Lord
> trainer.

Agreed. I do believe though that the bulk are Humakti and it is the Humakti that have a higher % mercenaries. That "sever relationship" feat tends to avoid being tied down to a family or Ernalda priestess that would get more attention from the Orlanth Adventurous.

> > I see "regiment" magic being along the same lines as a
> > hero's subcult. The power comes though from the
> > collective history of the regiment.
>
> I think that your idea could best be represented as a hero band, with a
> magic relationship to the unit's founder - in short, a mercenary warband and
> a heroic captain.

Very similiar. The difference being whether your worship focuses on remember the deeds of the hero or the deeds of the regiment. Kinda like having a "Thunder Brothers" priest.

> In fact an outlaw sentence amounts more or less to a dead sentence.

I agree. My point was to clarify the difference between the Humakti severance and the outlaw severance. An outlaw is completely on his own. A Humakti is still, in a different way, connected. He's dead... an honored dead though. The outlaw is uncared for.

> But those who perceive their exile as unjust, or perhaps who want to
> cleanse their reputation and be respected again, or who have renounced their
> former ways IMO are naturally led to Humakt, if only because they already
> have their kin ties severed. But also because often those who hate something
> the most are those who were involved in it.

The character concept for the charcter Agnar I'm currently playing is close to this. His clan, in Tarsh, was wiped out by the Lunars. He and his father desired vengenance and also means to fight, so they became Humakti (with gift/geas being applied). There is however another God speicilly for outlaws. I believe a requirement to join is to be outlawed. Jeff has made mention of this god, who's name escapes me, a few times in our game. I'm not sure if he is mentioned in the rule book.

Brian Laxson
Agnar, the man from T.A.R.S.H.