Re: Sorcerous Familiars in Hero Wars ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:24:33 +1200

At 11:53 23/06/00 +0200, you wrote:

>Me> I'm really speaking from the roolz issue and how people have
> > treated it in the past. If you could give a definition of
> > a homonculus and a familiar, we could see whether any differences
> > between the two exist in glorantha.

>Well, a homunculus would resemble the type of RQ3 familiar that was
>created ex nihilo by the sorceror, as a detached and partally
>independent portion of himself.

I had guessed that this would have been the definition you might be using. _But_ since both the homunculus and the average familiar could be created by the same rules in RQ3, this doesn't tell me very much.

>I'd see the familiar as being a magical assistant, of magical nature
>and with a (direct or indirect) connection to the other side, that a
>sorceror could aquire in several different ways ; probably involving
>some sort of magic link from his soul. (and much would depend upon the
>otherworld origin of the creature : would most of them come from Hell,
>or not?)

And this differs from a homunculus how?

>One apparent difference between them, then ; Inner World / Other Side.

I don't really see this. Take the example of the Maculus's Brass Dog and Arlaten's Nailhead, both from Strangers in Prax. They are created ex nihilo yet they are made from using inner world materials.

>How does that sound ? Does it imply anything for you ? Do you think
>that this should always be Black Magic frinstance ?

I don't see it being "black magic" as creating a homonculus might be the sort of thing a zzaburi does.

--Peter Metcalfe