Re: Sorcerous Familiars in Hero Wars ?

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:07:12 +0200

Peter :

> Me>Well, a homunculus would resemble the type of RQ3 familiar that was
> >created ex nihilo by the sorceror, as a detached and partally
> >independent portion of himself.
>
> I had guessed that this would have been the definition you might
> be using. _But_ since both the homunculus and the average familiar
> could be created by the same rules in RQ3, this doesn't tell me
> very much.

This *is* speculation ...

> >I'd see the familiar as being a magical assistant, of magical nature
> >and with a (direct or indirect) connection to the other side, that a
> >sorceror could aquire in several different ways ; probably involving
> >some sort of magic link from his soul. (and much would depend upon the
> >otherworld origin of the creature : would most of them come from Hell,
> >or not?)
>
> And this differs from a homunculus how?

They have their own souls ?

> >One apparent difference between them, then ; Inner World / Other Side.
>
> I don't really see this. Take the example of the Maculus's Brass
> Dog and Arlaten's Nailhead, both from Strangers in Prax. They are
> created ex nihilo yet they are made from using inner world materials.

The subject, from my POV isn't so much RQ familiars as hypothetical HW ones, that I would define pretty much as stated : magical assistants, of a magical nature and with a (direct or indirect) connection to the other side.

So, do I think that Brass Dog and Nailhead are 'familiars' according to my vague 'definition' ? Dunno ; but much as I like Arlaten as a character, I loathe his RQ write-up (much as I loathe pure RQ3 sorcery) ...

OK, so that doesn't make the speculation any easier ...

> >How does that sound ? Does it imply anything for you ? Do you think
> >that this should always be Black Magic frinstance ?
>
> I don't see it being "black magic" as creating a homonculus might
> be the sort of thing a zzaburi does.

Certainly.

Hmh ! Looks like we're grinding to a halt. Lack of material. Any extra ideas, anyone ?

cheers,

Julian Lord